PHAETON™ LAB DRY FILM THICKNESS MEASUREMENT
Phaeton is the fastest, most accurate lab film thickness instrument anywhere. It’s extremely easy to use requiring no operator skill and it’s extremely reliable. Phaeton is used to measure the topcoat and reverse side coat on any given sample. Phaeton makes up to 1000 measurements in under 3 seconds across the full width sample so you get a complete picture of the coating profile. No other instrument does that with this level of accuracy and speed, and without any calibration.
• Measures full width samples in under 3 seconds
• Measurements are spaced at 2-3mm intervals across the strip so a 1,600mm sample would deliver800 individual measurements spaced evenly from edge to edge
• The detailed coating thickness profiles provide unique diagnostic insight into the coating process
• Rapidly measure the topcoat, flip the sample over and get the reverse side measurements in another few seconds
• No calibration regardless of pigmented paint or substrate type
• Uses a patented direct measurement principle for precision to +/- 0.2 micrometers
• Can be installed at the coil coating line’s exit shear near the inspection station to provide full strip width profiles and film thickness data straight off the production line in seconds. The results are immediately visible to the coater operator on a screen just outside the coater room so that film set-up problems can be corrected and perfected in seconds
• Your use of Phaeton and the amount of thickness data delivered will be a great marketing aid to promote and sell your coated products
• Coater operators will have the feedback to learn how to improve their skills in operating the production roll coater
• Available to suit sample widths of 1200mm and 1600mm or above
CCS1 COATING CONTROL SYSTEM
COMPLETE CONTROL OF PRIMER and TOPCOAT WET and DRY FILM BUILD
The DJH suite of products deliver fabulous benefits but with so many choices they pose the question of what to install. So how do you decide what components logically fit together to deliver the best business outcome for your production line. Here you will find the logical combinations for complete quality assurance of all coating layers. The instrument packages are designed to deliver the best outcomes and the best business case to suit your needs.
BUILD IT UP ONE COMPONENT AT A TIME
One of the great things about this system is that you don’t need to buy it all right from the start.
There are two logical alternative starting points to build up CCS1. The choice between these is simply based on available capital. If its low then start with DFM-Ultra to get immediate paint savings and guarantee quality. In fact DFM-Ultra is so cost effective, every paint line should have this – regardless. A great advantage of DFM-Ultra is that it can easily be upgraded to a full DFM1 at any time in the future. Having started with DFM-Ultra the next logical step is to add WFM1 and PVS1. This addition adds the ability to set up the coater before production commences. WFM1 and DFM-Ultra talk during production and compare notes. DFM-Ultra will fine tune WFM1 for perfect monitoring of every coil from the very first meter.
The other great starting point is WFM1 with PVS1. Eliminate test strips, eliminate wet film wheel track marks, save paint, save steel and improve your lines yield. If you do test strips now the savings are likely to be well above $1,000,000 every year. Use your first month’s savings to add in DFM-Ultra.
That combination – WFM1/PVS1/DFM-Ultra is the foundation of CCS1. It’s the perfect basis from which to introduce closed loop control. It is a wonderfully automated easy to use system. Of course the operator will still have to do paint volume solids testing which takes a minute of his or her time at every paint change.
ADD A PHAETON
Now you’ve got your topcoat fully in control. That’s where the biggest savings are. You can now focus on primers and backers.
I personally like the idea of adding a Phaeton lab thickness instrument at this stage of the CCS1 build up. It’s unique in that in just 2 seconds you get hundreds of measurements from edge to edge – a full profile of thickness results providing unprecedented information on the condition of your coater roll and the coater set-up. Phaeton should be located just near the exit shear of the paint line. Cut the sample and measure the profile in seconds. Ideally the monitor showing the sample results is located at the coater room with a second monitor in the quality control lab. Measure the topside, then flip over the sample and measure the bottom side. Generate a sample of primed strip at the leading edge of each coil so that you can measure primer thickness quickly and efficiently, and again, on both sides of the strip.
So when should you add the Phaeton – about 2 months after installing WFM1/PVS1. Just use the savings in hand – it won’t cost anything in real terms.